We are currently in the process of moving across country, so I am in full on purge mode. If I haven’t used something in the past fours years its getting thrown in the trash or donated. However, one evening I came across a box full of physical books (that were never unpacked from our last move) and a box full of books is super heavy. Not the most practical things to cart from apartment to house, state to state. Even though I rarely read books more than once, I don’t have the heart to donate them away. I love a good physical book, and every time I see my collection I am reminded of the times I read them. Many found memories of world travels, vacations and staying up late reading when my kids were newborns. So, I guess my box of book will be making it’s way across country in another move.
When buying a physical book I can spend hours wandering through a book store, and thankfully I live close to a Barnes & Noble location in New York City to wander as often as I like. Plus my local Barnes & Nobel and other locations across the country are destinations for tons of exciting events. Barnes & Noble host more than 100,000 events per year, bringing major authors, actors, musicians to the stores across the country. At these events Barnes & Noble stores connect celebrity authors with local customers for just the price of purchasing their book.
In June alone, the list of authors appearing across the country includes Sherman Alexie, Chelsea Clinton, Roxane Gay, John Grisham, Kevin Hart, Bethany Mota, Mike Tyson, and many more big name celebrities. Check out the Barnes & Noble Store and Event Locator for upcoming events near you.
- Chelsea Clinton, She Persisted: 13 American Women Who Changed the World, Barnes & Noble Union Square in New York City, June 3 at 11 AM.
- David Ross, Teammate: My Journey in Baseball and a World Series for the Ages, Barnes & Noble in Skokie, IL, June 1 at 7 PM; Barnes & Noble in Tallahassee, FL, June 15 at 7 PM.
- Mike Tyson, Iron Ambition: My Life with Cus D’Amato, Barnes & Noble in Las Vegas, NV, June 3 at 1 PM.
- Al Franken, Al Franken, Giant of the Senate, Barnes & Noble in Rochester, MN, June 3 at 2 PM.
- John Grisham, Camino Island, Barnes & Noble in Paramus, NJ, June 6 at 1 PM.
- Kevin Hart, I Can’t Make This Up: Life Lessons, Barnes & Noble Union Square in New York City, June 5 at 7 PM; Barnes & Noble at The Grove in Los Angeles, CA, June 12 at 7 PM.
- Roxane Gay, Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body, Barnes & Noble Union Square in New York City, June 12 at 7 PM.
- Eddie Izzard, Believe Me: A Memoir of Love, Death and Jazz Chickens, Barnes & Noble at The Grove in Los Angeles, CA, June 17 at 3 PM.
- Elin Hilderbrand, The Identicals, Barnes & Noble in Homestead, PA, June 15 at 7 PM; Barnes & Noble Skokie Old Orchard in Skokie, IL, June 18 at 2 PM; Barnes & Noble in Edina, MN, June 19 at 7 PM; Barnes & Noble Eastchester in Scarsdale, NY, June 23 at 7 PM.
- Bethany Mota, Make Your Mind Up, Barnes & Noble Tribeca in New York City, June 13 at 6 PM; Barnes & Noble in Miami, FL, June 15 at 7 PM; Barnes & Noble at The Grove in Los Angeles, CA, June 19 at 7 PM.
- Sherman Alexie, You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me: A Memoir, Barnes & Noble Union Square in New York City, June 16 at 7 PM.
- Don Winslow, The Force, Upper West Side Barnes & Noble in New York City, June 20 at 7 PM; Barnes & Noble Concord Pike in Wilmington, DE, June 21 at 6 PM; Barnes & Noble at The Grove in Los Angeles, CA, June 27 at 7 PM.
My local Barnes & Noble was packed for the Sherman Alexie event, for the release of You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me: A Memoir, about his mother and her unrealized greatness, that he is now realizing. He read from a chapter and some pomes from the book and told stories from his childhood and adult life. The best line of the event was “I don’t believe in ghosts, but I see them all the time”.
If these are not great enough, wait till you see the next announcement unveiling the fantastic events lineup for July.