Healthy after-school snack must-haves, toss out the junk food and start making snack time fun and healthy. See how these 5 portable yet healthy after-school snacks, not only taste good but are kid-friendly too. Oh and my kids eat them without a fuss!
The first thing my son says to me when I pick him up from school is, “I am hungry!” no “It’s great to see you Mom”, or “I had the best day ever!” but like a daily broken record he says “I am hungry!” over and over again. So, I always have a snack out, ready to fill his hunger pains. I pack him a huge lunch every day full of fresh fruits and vegetables, so I am a bit more relaxed on what he eats for his after-school snack. However, if the snack is healthy it gets major bonus points in my book.
5 healthy after-school snacks my kids like to eat
- Goodkid snack bar Healthy, low-sugar snack bars for kids, that are gluten free with no-GMOs. They have only 5 or 6 grams of sugar in the bars, and are available in 3 yummy flavors, apple cinnamon, lemon blueberry, oatmeal raisin. My son knows he has been a “good kid” at school that day if he is given a GoodKid bar for his after-school snack.
- Fruit & Veggie Mashups, Plum’s apple sauce pouches are made from organic fruits and veggies mixed, and mashed into purees my kids can squeeze and eat, on their own! Mashups have all the natural sweetness of vibrant fruits and some extra pow from colorful veggies. They’re great for eating on-the-go because you don’t need a spoon and no mess to clean at the end.
- Organic cheddar bunnies From Annie’s are baked with 100% real organic cheese, organic wheat flour, and absolutely no artificial flavors, synthetic colors or preservatives. Plus they are adorable and ideal for toddler-sized hands, but great for snackers of all ages to eat by the handful. Just pour some in a reusable snack bag and you have a portable waistless health snack.
- Chobani Kids yogurt, naturally delicious food made right. Their yogurt pouches are made with 8g of protein, 10g of sugar and made using only natural ingredients that are not genetically modified (non-GMO). My son loves the fun Spider Man packaging and he can easily twist-off the lid, making for a scissor-free and mess-free opening process. If he does not finish the whole pouch (rarely happens) you can reseal them, and pop them back into the fridge.
- Nature Addicts a 100% natural fruit snack. NA has no preservatives, no additives, no added sugar, non GMO, and is vegan and gluten free. NA’s promise is simple: offer consumers of all ages a fruity and convenient bite-sized snack. 1 bag of NA is the equivalent of one piece of fruit but shhhhhh don’t tell my son it is not candy!
What is your go-to healthy after-school snack for you little ones.
I was provided with healthy snack samples to help facilitate this review, however all opinions expressed here are my own.