Safe Kids Worldwide is a global organization dedicated to protecting kids from unintentional injuries, the number one cause of death to children in the United States. Throughout the world, almost one million children die of an injury each year, and every one of these tragedies is preventable. Safe Kids works with an extensive network of more than 600 coalitions in the United States and in 23 countries to reduce traffic injuries, drownings, falls, burns, poisonings and more. By providing resources to families and communities to protect children.
This Saturday April 12th 2014 is Safe Kids Day in New York City, it is a day full of fun, games, food and safety awareness. We took H last year and he had a blast. Proceeds from Safe Kids Day support local, state and national injury prevention efforts of Safe Kids Worldwide. Safe Kids Day is presented by Children’s TYLENOL® with support from the General Motors Foundation, FedEx, Johnson & Johnson, American Airlines, Tyco and others.
If you are not in NYC to attend this amazing event here are some easy tips that you can implement into your life immediately.
- Tug on your kid’s car seat where the seat belt goes. If it moves more than 1″ at the base, tighten it up.
- Secure furniture and TVs. Mount flat screens and keep bulky-style TVs on a low and stable base, or recycle them.
- Check smoke and CO alarms monthly. Replace devices every 10 years. Replace batteries every year.
- Scan your home for places kids can get into medicine. It is pills in purses, vitamins on counters and medicine in daily reminder boxes that curious kids get into.
- Check around your house for coin-sized button batteries.
- Ask your kid’s coaches if they have had concussion or sports safety training.
- Call to action: Take the Challenge and Take Action Against Distraction.