I am so excited for this years New Victory Theater season. Last year My Strange Family attended multiple shows at the New Vic theater and they did not disappoint. H’s favorite show Belllo Mania, will also be returning next April and he keeps asking “Is it April yet”? The aim of the New Victory Theater is to introduce extraordinary artists to extraordinary audiences, bringing kids to the arts and arts to kids.
There are many theaters in NYC but the New Victory goes above and beyond with quality family appropriate shows. Each show has an age minimum and I totally agree with the theaters recommendation for each show. It is great to expose children to live theater early, but I feel the show needs to be geared towards them for the kid to fully appreciate the experience, and want to continue coming back to the theater.
Besides having great shows, the New Victory Theater has “Add Ons” to many of the shows.
- Family Workshops– Family Workshops invite adults and kids to discover their creative talents and play together in workshops designed to complement the current show. The workshops are 90 minutes long and are led by New Victory Teaching Artists. The cost is $12/ participant for Members and $17/ participant for Non-Members
- Arts Express– Come early to select performances to play with the New Victory Teaching Artists and participate in the art forms that you are about to see on stage. These events have a “drop-in” format and happen during the hour before the show starts in the lower lobby spaces. FREE with show ticket purchase
- TXT Marks the Spot– TXT Marks the Spot combines digital gaming, scavenger hunting and the performing arts into unique experiences for families to enjoy together after select New Victory shows. Equipped with a map and your own personal mobile device, your family will roam the theater and take on challenges for your next clue.
- Talk-Backs– Stay after select performances and ask questions, find out more about how the show was made, and get to know the creative team and performers.
The first show of the New Victory Theater season starts Friday October 4th and it is Belvoir’s Peter Pan recommended for everyone 7+. With no green tights in sight, this unlikely Peter Pan has the Darlings exploring Neverland as their own bedroom becomes a lagoon full of mermaids, a pirate ship at sea and a cove overrun with lost boys. This show is supposed to have tons of stage magic and make-believing, I am so excited to see this version of Peter Pan (without the kids) and can’t wait to share my review with you. 85 minutes with no intermission. Prices range from $9-$38
The first show I will be taking H to is Me and My Shadow everyone 4+ specifically crafted with younger kids in mind. When a young girl befriends her sly and silly shadow, imaginations will ignite. A shadow takes the lead role in Me and My Shadow, a visually rich and whimsical play by the renowned Patch Theatre Company. The performance is set at a playground, and the actors use paper, light, music and magic to entertain the young theatergoers in a big theater space. October 19 & 20 only! 45 minutes with no intermission. Prices range from $9-$38
A full list of the New Victory 2013-14 season shows can be found at http://www.newvictory.org
Plus when you order 3 or more New Victory shows at the same time, 2 things happen:
- You automatically become a Member of The New Victory Theater.
- You save up to 35% on tickets.
What show are you planning to take your kids to this year?