The Disney Social Media Moms Celebration “On-the-Road” came to New York City on Wednesday, June 5th, 2013 at the Doubletree Midtown.
I had previously attended Disney on the Road, Long Island conference back in August 2012, so I was excited to be included again in the New York City conference. I am currently 9 months pregnant so I was worried I would have to miss the magical day, but lucky for me BabyGirl did not make her appearance. So I grabbed my new business cards, name tag and was ready to get “pixie-dusted”!
After some networking and breakfast everyone was ready for the day of learning to start. The Opening remarks were given by Maria Bailey (founder and CEO of BSM Media) and her words are still resinating with me, “Kids learn to follow their passions, they set and achieve goals by watching us set the examples”.
Gary Buchanan (Social Media Managing Editor for Walt Disney World Resort and Disney Parks), then discussed what is new at Disneyland and Walt Disney World.
- ‘Mickey and the Magical Map’: A new live stage show at the Fantasyland Theater.
- Fantasy Faire: A new storybook village near Sleeping Beauty Castle.
- Cars Land and Buena Vista Street: The expanded Disney California Adventure, a sight to see.
- Limited Magic: Guests can enjoy an extra dash of pixie dust each week in 2013. Some experiences last a day, some longer. Independence Day will be red, white and blue as Disney Parks celebrate America with a 4th of July Fireworks Party- for an entire week.
Walt Disney World Resort:
- New Fantasyland: The largest expansion in the history of the Magic Kingdom.
- Test Track Presented by Chevrolet: Design your own concept “SimCar”.
- Splitsville Luxury Lanes: Located in Downtown Disney is this hip, retro-style bowling emporium.
- Limited Time Magic: You can find out what awaits at disneyparks.com
- Star Wars Weekends: Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday through June 9th at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
- Disney Dining: Coming by summer’s end: a re-imagined California Grill will be at Disney’s Contemporary Resort.
- Coming Soon, at Sea!: The first Disney ship Disney Magic will be “reimagineering” with exciting new additions for the whole family.
Gary then showed us a fun little 24-hour time-lapse video from the recent Monstrous Summer “All-Nighter” event. Check out the video below.
Jennifer Labit the owner of Cotton Babies was the Keynote Speaker. She talked about how she started her company out of a tiny $100 investment. Then in 2005, Jenn and husband, Jimmy, created the bumGenius One-Size Reusable Diaper, a product now distributed on five continents. The biggest takeaway I received from Jenn is “If you’re not willing to fail, you’re not willing to succeed.”
The Mompreneur Panel Discussion included Lauren Levy (founder of Magnificent Baby LLC), Susanne Budofsky and Robin Spritzer (creators of Greater Than One Kids), Bonnie Marcus (founder of Where Fashion Meets Paper) and Sandra Frawley (founder of Baby Bindle). They gave some great insight on how to start a business, and how many of them received the Huggies MomInspired Grant to get them on their feet.
The final business section speaker was Michelle Stepney (Disney’s Public Relations Content Director), her signature content is Disney Style Snapshot. Michelle’s presentation was titled “Get Ready For Your Close-Up” where we gained tips on maintaining composure with the media.
All in all it was a great half day conference and I am so glad I was able to attend. I was able to take-away some great information and network with the best of them and “Choose who you follow wisely. You are who you surround yourself with”!